Senior Project Cost Analyst
Duration: 3 years
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Our client in the public sector in Ontario is concurrently implementing several major capital programs and projects. These programs are multi-phased milestone driven initiatives. These budgets require daily oversight, reconciliation, forecasting and reporting to the executive management team on a monthly basis.
Description of Duties
The Cost Analyst will play a lead role managing the enterprise capital budgets and be responsible for:
- Providing budget control for multiple capital projects
- Reconciling monthly charges to the project budgets for staff, contractors, software licenses, hardware, milestone payments, facilities costs and miscellaneous items
- Providing cost management reports identifying monthly variance by cost elements
- Adhering to the cost management and reporting corporate standards
- Identifying and reporting operating budget impacts
- Minimum 10 years hands-on experience managing budgets exceeding $100M+ for enterprise capital projects
- Expert knowledge of budget planning, budget management and variance reporting
- Expertise in managing budgets with multi-year and complex projects
- Expertise in understanding project phases and costing methodologies for projects greater than 3+ years
Other Skills / Certification
- Excellent skills in cost management including management, reporting and forecasting
- Sound knowledge of standard accounting budgeting and cost control principles, methods, practices and performance measures combined with a sound knowledge of financial research methods and techniques.
- Well versed in the use of Microsoft Excel (including macros) and other computerized applications related to costing, budgeting and associated functions.
- Possesses good analytical, problem solving, organizational, interpersonal, verbal communication, report writing and presentation skills.
- Annually creating/updating Capital Budget submission for program, including:
- Operating Budget Impact
- Budget Variance
- Project Expenditure Summary
- Project Summary
- Miscellaneous Capital Budget Submission Documentation
- Yearly calendarization of approved project budget by financial period
- Year-end preparation of Invoice Accruals
- By financial period, tracking detailed actual results with comparison to budget and detailed variance explanations
- Investigation and resolution of incorrect program/project charges
- By financial period, completing budget/actual requirements for Project Status Report
- Reviews purchase authorizations and resulting invoices, in consultation with project managers to ensure budget and resulting charges are accurate
- Review project documentation to ensure accuracy of budget information and approved funds exist eg. Project Change Requests, Project Charters etc.
- Ad-hoc Financial/Cost Management Reports as required
- Financial Presentations as required