Project Manager (Transit Asset Management)
Anticipated Duration: 2 years
Project Location: Covid-19 protocol; Toronto, Ontario. The contracted resource will be required to work remotely due to the Covid-19 situation but, we may require the resource to work on premises in the future if the pandemic situation changes for better. The resource will be provided with a laptop and will be given remote access.
Description of Duties / Scope of Work
The Project Manager for Enterprise Asset Management is responsible for planning, directing, managing and co-ordinating the daily activities of the EAM project Team consisting of dedicated IT resources, specific internal and external program resources and vendors with integrated client and consultant members. These teams will be responsible for the coordination, implementation and management of multi-year, multi-discipline Capital Program projects from inception, planning, design, procurement and commissioning to project close-out. Emphasis is given to creating, developing, and updating the necessary tools and strategies to execute the client’s Corporate Asset Management Policy and liaising with various stakeholders of the Asset Management Executive Committee throughout the process. This position acts as the client’s representative to exercise/delegate such authority or discretion as required. The incumbent is required to effectively manage through all phases of the project life cycle to ensure that functionality and performance objectives are met on schedule and within approved budgets. The incumbent prepares detailed project plans, schedules and budgets; and oversees all aspects of project execution. The incumbent must communicate effectively with the senior staff and all other members of the project teams.
- Manage cost, schedule and performance of capital projects, while working to ensure the ultimate success of the program;
- Assumes a lead role in major technical investigations related to the Implementation Program;
- Ensures the development of detailed strategic goals and objectives for the Program Team;
- Monitors and communicates project progress against the approved plan requirements, quality measures and milestones using KPls;
- Identify and schedule project deliverables, milestones, and required activities and tasks.
- Provide leadership and motivation to project team members throughout the project life cycle, and confer with project staff to outline work plan.
- Establish work plan and staffing for project activities, iterations or phases, and arrange for recruitment or assignment of project personnel.
- Review project proposals or plans to determine timeframe, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing projects, staffing requirements and allotment of available departmental resources to various project phases.
- Review/approve work plan of external service provider or consultancy contracted to execute project.
- Implement project communication plan.
- Conduct and perform risk assessment, and implement mitigation plans.
- Ensure that project goals are accomplished and are in line with business objectives.
- Assign duties, responsibilities and scope of authority to project personnel.
- Direct and coordinate activities of project personnel to ensure that the project progresses on schedule and within budget.
- Prepare status reports with contribution from project personnel, and modify schedules or plans as required.
- Continuously benchmark project management performance to identify improvements and achieve higher capability maturity in project and portfolio management.
Mandatory Skills / Certification
- In-depth knowledge of transit related asset management concepts and practices, asset management programs, including standards and procedures development as well as related trades and disciplines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of project management principles and practices, including work scheduling and resource allocation.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, business process re-engineering, data and process modelling and the preparation of technical specifications for RFP documents
- Sound knowledge of business administration, fiscal and human resources policies, and legislation/regulations regarding safety, human rights, employment, etc.
- Sound knowledge and experience implementing IBM Maximo for transit or related organizations
- Ability to motivate staff and effectively manage stakeholder expectations at an executive management level
- Ability to initiate and implement enterprise-wide improvement programs and measures to increase operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Sound judgement; highly developed management, organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work with multi-discipline teams, deal with complex issues and maintain effective working relationships
- Demonstrated experience in formulating detailed project goals and objectives, and associated budgets
- Ability to prepare and interpret detailed reports, recognize problems and evaluate solutions
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate and mediate for the successful resolution of a variety of issues
- Familiarity with computers and computer based techniques and applications related to the work
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
- Demonstrated experience in leading diverse and cross functional teams
- Must hold current Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from PMI
- Expertise with MS Project, developing and maintain projects schedules and other office suite of productivity tools
Other Skills / Certification
- Experience in managing transit system related projects (i.e. Transit Asset Management)
- Experience with IBM Maximo
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline
- Day-to-day management, coordination and oversight of EAM project
- Ensure program deliverables are met and delivered in a cost-effective, efficient and timely manner
- Drive key strategic initiatives for the organization as it strives to modernize and continually improve
- Oversee, direct and supervise staff of the EAM Implementation Team comprised of Solution Delivery team, Business Analysts, Subject Matter Experts, vendors and contractors/consultants
- Exercise a high degree of autonomy and initiative in most areas of responsibility
- Prepare following documents/plans/reports as required:
- Feasibility and Business Case documentation
- Procurement documentation (RFI, RFP, contract documentation)
- Project deliverable artifacts as per the published IT Project Management Framework
- WBS, Resource Plans, Project Management Plans, Cost Management Plans including bottom up estimates
- Project reporting (ad-hoc and weekly)
- Budget reporting (Probable/Actual spreadsheets and others)
- Project performance reports
- Risk analysis reports
- Steering Committee presentations and associated reports
- Schedule, assign and monitor work assignments, direct and co-ordinating efforts of staff, maintain quality/quantity work standards, evaluate staff performance and problem solving as required.
- Providing advice, direction and guidance to the Executive, Department Heads/Project Leads, other senior management and various stakeholders on issues relating to the timely delivery of the program
- Provide support to and assist with user training during the Production Rollout
- Project Closeout Documentation
- Other related project documentation as required